Saturday, July 6, 2013

Stay interested over the tedium by doing something extra

  Sometimes, the day-to-day job of Service Delivery Management can become a bit tedious, and even depressing.  The worst thing that you can do is to allow yourself to be drawn in to that tedium and to become dissatisfied with your job and to give up the passion you have for your work.  Unfortunately, Service Delivery just has parts that are like that and there's really no way to avoid them.  How then do you keep from losing your passion?

  Find something else to do at work that you get enjoyment from.  I have found that volunteering for small projects working on things that I love have helped me to keep my interest at work.  While there are many tedious things about my current job, I have found that these little projects have helped to bring my passion back even with the tedious things that I do every day.  

  For example, I'm working on a small documentation project, volunteering to help with some open-source items, and helping to run a small PoC with my systems administrations skills.  These things only take maybe an hour or so a week.  But after doing a bit of work on them at the end of a really frustrating day or at the beginning of a really nasty day helps to restore the passion that I have that is one of my strong attributes so that I can bring that passion back and overcome the other things that have sapped my strength.

  Find what it is that you can do at work that will restore your passion - it's amazing how a little bit of volunteering will bring your spirit back for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment